In the three days since it launched on May 12th, 2023, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom sold over 10 million units and has become the fastest-selling entry in the Legend of Zelda franchise. It’s also worth noting that here in the US, the Hyrulian Fantasy sold over 4 million units alone, making it the fastest-selling game for the Nintendo Switch in the United States.
These may seem like small numbers at first, but when you take into consideration that Tears of the Kingdom is exclusive to the Nintendo Switch and compare its numbers to other console games, it’s impressive that this entry was able to meet massive numbers in just three days.
Here are a couple of games that were released within the last year to compare.
- Hogwarts Legacy released Feb 10th, 2023, for PS5, Xbox X/S, and May 5th, 2023, for PS4 and Xbox has sold 15 million copies.
- Elden Ring, which won Game of the Year in the fall of 2022, was released Feb 25th, 2022, and sold 20 million copies by February 2023.
To compare it to its predecessor, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild only sold one million units in its first month but it went on to sell 31 million units by 2022. It’s astonishing to see the Legend of Zelda continuously evolve with each entry and after many thought Breath of the Wild was the tip of the iceberg, only time will tell if Tears of the Kingdom breaks these numbers.
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is available now on Nintendo Switch.
- Sony’s Project Q: Everything We Know So Far - June 6, 2023
- How to Unlock Fast Travel in Tears of the Kingdom - June 1, 2023
- Alan Wake 2 is Arriving Just in Time for Spooky Season - May 31, 2023